Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fresh Dip, No Beans

A week into being back to a pretty strict plant based diet, I am feeling amazing.  I am also getting really tired of hummus.  I've had two meals out recently and both times my only option on the menu was the hummus.  Hummus or toast with almond butter are usually my go-to's for a really quick snack.  Today, I was desperate for something a little more exciting.  Here is what I came up with after a look through the fridge (not currently very abundant) and the pantry.




Raw Green Cucumber Spread

2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh greens, chopped (I used collard greens)
1/2 medium sized cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender (using pulse/chop mode) and process until mixed well.  You may need to add a splash of water to help it come together.
Use as a dip for fresh veggies or a spread for toast.
Makes ~2 cups

It was light and refreshing and hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment